Monday, July 12, 2010

1 month post-op - Sugerical Consultation

Today is Monday, July 12, 2010 and I had a surgical consultation with my kidney surgeon, Dr. A. Ghanekar, 4 weeks after my nephrectomy. He is such a kind and down-to-earth soul. A wonderful professional who released any apprehensions we may have had. Unless something bothers or concerns me there is no reason I have to see him again and that part is sad but he is an excellent surgeon and I was so lucky to be in his care.

I am able to bathe and swim like usual now but should wait 3-4 weeks before participating in karate. Even then I need to take it slow as I have been fairly sedentary till now. I will increase walking and other light exercises but I'm still to avoid lifting and pulling.

The numbness and tingly sensation is normal but still odd to me. It is numb close to the main incision and tingly above, like pins and needles. That is supposed to indicate that the tiny muscle fibers are mending. Healing is good!

I learned from my surgeon that he kept my left adrenal gland intact! This is good news - it controls hormones and other things... important bodily functions particularly when I'm without my left kidney. :) I had read that without the adrenal gland, fatigue could be an issue. I still have some fatigue but obviously it's unrelated to not having both adrenal glands. I am completely thrilled to have had such an *excellent* Nephrologist!

Now I need to get into the right head space before I start work. I've begun to go through the 850+ emails but I'm still uncertain when I will start taking my role back. Ayron has been so great in making the transition seamless; I appreciate her help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you consider being a living kidney donor?

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married Lorne on Saturday, August 13, 2005. Our children Benjamin and Brittany live with us and our 3 dogs Bailey, Rex, Leo, and Molly the cat.