Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Letter from UHN confirming next appointments

Michael Garrels RN BScN(c), Transplant Coordinator, Living Donor Kidney Program from the University Health Network sent me a letter. Actually, it was his Administrative Assistant Sherry Young that organized all the appointments over a 2-day period and sent me official notification of them. I called to confirm I'd be there.

Since this is my first visit to Toronto General Hospital, I will need a Blue Patient Card. It is also suggested that I do not wear fragrance when going to the hospital for appointments. After have been in the hospital for a short time, I discovered there are numerous "hand sanitizing" stations throughout the hospital, at every door, at every corner. And each office, reception would ask if you had sanitized your hands before approaching the desk. If not, there was sanitizer there for you. There's no reason to think of a hospital as "germ-y" after seeing all that!

The following appointments have been arranged exclusively for me as part of my kidney donor assessment:

Monday, July 6, 2009

Chest X-ray
9:00 a.m.
Preparation: None
Duration: 0.5 Hour
Location: Toronto General Hospital - 1st floor North Bldg - Medical Imaging

GFR (Renal Scan) ***This test is a two part test***
9:45 a.m. AND 12:45 p.m.
Preparation:
Duration: 1.5 Hours part 1, 1.5 Hours break, 0.75 Hours part 2
Location: Toronto General Hospital - 1st floor North Building - Medical Imaging

If you have any questions or concerns about the test, or if you need to reschedule your appointment, please contact the Ultrasound Department at 416-340-4800 ext 3311.

CT Scan
11:30 a.m.
Preparation:
Duration: 1.0 to 1.5 Hours
Location: Toronto General Hospital - 1st floor North Building - Medical Imaging

If you have any questions or concerns about the test, or if you need to reschedule your appointment, please contact the CT Department at 416-340-4800 ext 3384.

Dr. Esther Elliott, Psychiatry (All anonymous donors)
2:00 p.m.
Preparation: None
Duration: 1.0 to 1.5 Hours
Location: Toronto General Hospital - 8th Floor North, Out-Patient Psychiatry (Beside the East Elevators)

If you have any questions or concerns about the test, or if you need to reschedule your appointment, please contact Deanna at 416-340-4800 ext 3043.

Michael Garrels RN BScNc (Transplant Coordinator) Donor Education
3:30 p.m.
Preparation: Please read "Donor Package"
Duration: 1.0 Hours
Location: Toronto General Hospital - 12th floor Clinical Services Building, Room 1217

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Abdominal Ultrasound
9:00 a.m.

Preparation:
Duration: 1.0 to 1.5 Hours
Location: Toronto General Hospital - 1st floor North Building - Medical Imaging

If you have any questions or concerns about the test, or if you need to reschedule your appointment, please contact the Ultrasound Department at 416-340-4800 ext 4518.

Brigitte Talevski MSW RSW (Social Worker)
10:00 a.m.

Preparation: None
Duration: 1.5 Hours
Location: Toronto General Hospital - 11th floor Clinical Services Building - Room 1105

If you have any questions or concerns about the test, or if you need to reschedule your appointment, please contact the Social Work Department at 416-340-4800 ext 5655.


Next Steps, Not Yet Scheduled:


Transplant Nephrologist

But let's see first how well I get through 2 days of poking and prodding (physically as well as mentally!). Below are some of the test details.

Renal and CT scans - Instructions

Renal Scan/GFR Instructions to Patients

There is no preparation for this test but this is what the 3.5 hour procedure entails (I begin this process at 9:30 a.m. immediately following the chest X-ray):

1. First they measure my height and weight.
2. Then I drink 2 to 3 glasses of water over 15 minutes.
3. I will be asked to use the washroom before the test begins.
4. I lie on a special bed and they inject me with a small amount of the radioactive tracer.
5. They take pictures as I lie there for 20 minutes.
6. I use the washroom again.
7. They take 2 more quick pictures. These only last 1 minute each.
8. I come back for the first blood sample 1 hour after my injection.
9. I come back for the second blood sample 3 hours after the injection.

GFR stands for Glomerular Filtration Rate - how the blood vessels in my kidneys are filtering.

What happens after the test?
There are no known side effects from this test so I can go back to my normal activities.

CT Abdomen/Pelvis Instructions to Patients

What a CT scan is for:
A CT scan is an x-ray that we do using a computer. We take a series of pictures that show more detail than regular x-rays. Sometimes doctors use CT scans as guides when they are doing biopsies.

Before Your CT Scan:
If you are having a CT scan of the stomach (abdominal CT scan) do not eat or drink four (4) hours before your appointment. We might ask you to drink barium or water one hour before the scan. Barium is a liquid that makes your stomach and intestines show up in the scan. For abdominal and some other CT scans we might inject you with a dye. We give you a needle in your arm and inject the dye right before the scan. The dye makes your blood vessels show up in the scan.

How long with the scan take?
The scan takes from 10 to 20 minutes. You may be at the hospital anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the type of CT scan you are having done.

What happens during the scan?
1. You lie down on a table.
2. We put the part of your body that we need to scan into position. It needs to be in the middle of the scanner.
3. The table that you are lying on moves you in and out of the scanner. The scanner is a large machine that takes up most of the room.
4. When the scan is actually happening, the technologist leaves the room.
5. We can still hear you and see you through a window.
6. We give you instructions through the intercom.
7. You have to lie still while the scan is happening.
8. You might hear buzzing or clicking noises from the scanner. These are normal and you don't need to worry.

After Your Scan:
You can eat as you normally would after the scan as long as you don't have another test to do. If you had to drink barium or if you were injected with dye, drink lots of fluid over the next 24 hours to help flush them out of your body. After the scan, we study the results and send a report to your doctor in about a week. Your doctor will answer any questions you have about your diagnosis.

When You Come In For Your CT Scan:
1. Don't wear jewelry (or be prepared to take it off for the scan). If we are scanning you above the neck, you may also have to take off your dentures, hearing aids, or hairpins.

I didn't wear jewelry to the hospital at all but I completely forgot to remove my belly button ring. I removed it mid-test and it was returned to me in a paper cup used for holding people's dentures. :)

2. Try to bring someone with you. If you're having a CT-guided biopsy, you'll want someone to help you get home afterward. N/A

3. If you require a translator you must notify the hospital before your appointment so that we can make arrangements for a translator to be available for your appointment. N/A

4. Bring your health card. (I couldn't believe somebody that stood in line ahead of me to see the social worker complained over and over to the receptionist that he had to show not just his health card but the blue hospital card too. I wish I had thought at the time, as I did later, to mention to him that it is a lot better to do that for free health care than to dish over your credit card.)

5. It's important to arrive on time. If you are more than 15 minutes late, we may need to reschedule your appointment.

Abdominal Ultrasound with Doppler

Where do I go for the test?
1st floor Clinical Services Building, near the West elevators, check in at Reception please.

Why do I need this test?
The ultrasound "looks" at the organs inside the abdomen, especially the liver, spleen and kidneys and their blood vessels.

How is the test done?
A jelly is put on the abdomen and a wand is placed on the abdomen to "see" the organs and the blood vessels inside.

How long will the test take?
The test will take about 60 MINUTES.

What do I need to get ready for the test?
1. If your appointment is in the morning (before 12:00 noon), please come fasting (nothing to eat or drink) for 12 hours before the test.
2. If your appointment is in the afternoon (after 12:00 noon), you can have a light breakfast (toast and juice) before 8:00 a.m.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    It is a truly wonderful and selfless thing you are doing - wanting to donate your kidney. I too am undergoing evaluation to donate. I am in the UK though. I have to say your evaluation tests seem to get done a lot quicker. I started in Feb 09 and have my last test next week, then decision time as to whether I am acceptable or not. I wish you all the best with this. Knowing the number of people that are waiting to get their lives back - it is a joyfull thought knowing that before long there will be a family who can start to live once more. I hope they find you a match soon.
    All the best
    Di Franks
    http://www.LivingKidneyDonation.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Would you consider being a living kidney donor?

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married Lorne on Saturday, August 13, 2005. Our children Benjamin and Brittany live with us and our 3 dogs Bailey, Rex, Leo, and Molly the cat.