Friday, June 19, 2009

The Canadian Blood Services newsletter

It started with a newsletter emailed to me this spring. I give blood regularly... I just made my 69th donation. http://www.blood.ca/

I was reading about OneMatch formerly the Unrelated Bone Marrow Donor Registry (UBMDR). I've been registered but then I noticed something about organ donation. Of course this peaks my interest. My brother Rollie donated his organs when he died. I'd like to be able to do the same. But I'm not guaranteed to be able to donate my organs. What if I'm not healthy, or what if I die in such a way that my organs cannot be used? Live Kidney Donation seems to be a viable alternative... and an assurance that I can give somebody an organ, even if it is before I die.

On Friday, April 3, 2009 I called the University Health Network at Toronto General Hospital, Sick Kids re: the living donor paired exchange program that I read about. Michael Garrels, a Transplant Coordinator, told me a package would be sent to me.

I received and completed a multi-page application and mailed it back Tuesday, April 21st. More than 4 weeks pass and I'm wondering what will take place next and when. I get a call from Michael the last week of May and blood requisition forms and other test information sent to me which I receive Thursday, May 28th. I called TGH the next day and Sherry tells me that I should seek out a Life Labs location to give the urine and blood samples. I Google them: http://www.lifelabs.com/

Requisition #1
There's a convenient location downtown and the lab opens early (7:30 a.m.) so I aim to make it there at that time on the next business day. The letter in the package had indicated that if I couldn't get these tests done within 1 month that they will consider me to have declined proceeding with this process. No worries, I'm on it as soon as I can. I have to fast for 12-14 hours. It's only from 7 p.m. Sunday evening till the next morning so it wasn't a big deal. Monday, June 1st I arrive at Life Labs at 55 Queen Street East across from St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto. I take a number (16) and I wait nearly an hour. I have to pee in a cup and get 8+ viles of blood taken from me for various tests. This takes about half an hour; they give me a big orange jug for another urine test and by 9 a.m. I'm on my way to work.

Requisition #2
There are two requisitions so after a minimum of 5 days I need to go back to Life Labs to return the orange jug. Sunday, June 7th I start the 24-hour urine test. This is interesting; I've never done this before. When I wake up Sunday, I pee then record the time as the beginning of the test. I have to collect my urine for the rest of the day for 24 hours. I don't drink wine that day but I do drink some coffee in the morning. I also have a pot of green tea in the evening. By morning, the jug is completely filled! The Monday morning pee is the last deposit then I take the jug to Life Labs.

Monday, June 8th I turn over the big orange jug of pee then I have to pee in a cup again and give a couple more viles of blood. They need to compare the amount of protein in my urine to that in my blood immediately after the 24-urine test. The kidneys are not supposed to process protein. They also look for "waste" levels.

The forms indicated that if my tests are suitable to proceed then more tests will be conducted. It's Friday, June 19th and I haven't heard anything about the next steps. I donated blood this morning and I had to answer "yes" in response to if I've been tested for HIV. That's so odd. I've never been tested for HIV before. I explained the circumstances though and the nurse documented that the tests were "negative".

On the other hand...
I find it important to note that my husband is not in agreement with me doing this. When I got the first paperwork I told him that if I can help somebody with kidney disease or stop somebody from having to get multiple sessions of dialysis every week, that that is a good thing. He tells me I help so many people giving blood, this will help just one person. I know this, but it helps one person in a really big way. During my fast he expresses concern again, saying he should have a say in this - it is the health of his wife after all. And what if I have health issues myself later in life. He would not be too happy if I end up needing something I went to all this "trouble" to give away. I tell him that I'm just getting some tests done right now, that it's too early to be concerned and that I can back out at any time. We'll see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you consider being a living kidney donor?

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married Lorne on Saturday, August 13, 2005. Our children Benjamin and Brittany live with us and our 3 dogs Bailey, Rex, Leo, and Molly the cat.