Thursday, August 6, 2009

Nephrologist

I just received a phone call from Sherry at Toronto General. There was a cancellation so she grabbed the opening with Dr. Richardson to meet with me. I meet with him on Thursday, August 27th at 11 a.m. The appointment will only be half an hour to an hour long and he will tell me then and there whether or not it's a "go".

The nephrologist may or may not request additional tests or re-testing but in any case afterward I have to visit the Transplant Coordinator's office to let them know the results of the meeting. I asked whether there were donor/recipient pairs lined up for me to be slotted in with. Sherry told me that there are people listed, people who have been through their assessments and are ready to go, and apparently I get to choose the program I want to participate in but not the recipient. I asked if my husband could attend the meeting too and since he is not the recipient he is permitted.

Dr. Richardson has been reviewing my results all along and I cannot wait to hear the final word on this process!

Robert MA Richardson MD, FRCPC is a Professor in the Department of Medicine at the University of Toronto. He is a staff Nephrologist and Director of the Hemodialysis Program at the Toronto General Hospital.

Division: Nephrology
Hospital Affiliation: University Health Network - TGH
Academic Rank: Professor
Job Description: Clinician Teacher

What Is a Nephrologist?

A nephrologist is a physician who has been educated and trained in kidney diseases, kidney transplantation, and dialysis therapy. Nephrology is classified as an internal medicine subspecialty. Knowledge of internal medicine is required to obtain certification.

I just did a Google search on "nephrologist Toronto General" and got the Toronto General Hospital University Health Network Multi Organ Transplant Program website:
Toronto General Hospital Kidney Transplants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you consider being a living kidney donor?

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married Lorne on Saturday, August 13, 2005. Our children Benjamin and Brittany live with us and our 3 dogs Bailey, Rex, Leo, and Molly the cat.