Friday, July 10, 2009

After 2 days of tests...

The Toronto General Hospital is extremely efficient. All my appointments went very well, everything was easy to find and people were very helpful. There is even a great selection of healthy choices in the food court not to mention both Starbucks and Tim Horton's on the main floor when you first enter the main doors.

I found it most interesting to meet with Dr. Esther (the first psychiatrist I've ever known/met). She is a very nice lady. She determined that I am not depressed or suicidal and that my intentions are genuine. I became emotional speaking to her at one point. It came on quite suddenly. Something she asked prodded at me.

Brigitte, the Social Worker is also a very nice lady. I had never spoken with a social worker before either and didn't really understand her role in this. She spoke to me even longer than the psychiatrist had and explained a few things that I needed to do that I hadn't even contemplated deeply. Namely, she wanted me to discuss my plans to donate my kidney with my husband in more detail as well as with my family. As well, she made me aware that all aspects of this donation could not affect me negatively whatsoever so she had to ensure that I would not be physically, emotionally nor financially hindered by doing this.

Physically, all the tests I had done previously will determine whether I am physically able to donate a kidney. Emotionally, she needs to know I have support from my husband and family members. For instance, I will literally need some help around the house as I will not be able to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds (no laundry for a month!). And financially, since I will be out of work for a few weeks (a few days in the hospital, up to 6 weeks for recovery), I had to be able to survive, not go into debt, etc.

So... I went home and talked to Lorne more. The whole thing seemed more imminent doing that. He was concerned but I mentioned that he will be put more at ease when he meets with the social worker. I had already booked the appointment for him and I to go back the following week, Thursday, July 16, and speak with Brigitte. In the end, he ultimately said that he loves me and will always support me in my decisions so at that moment I felt extremely relieved and happy. It just made this whole thing a lot easier. I couldn't have married a better man.

Then I spoke with Erika in HR and my managers the next day, Wednesday, July 8th. I had already mentioned it to May briefly before since I had to take a couple of personal days off for literally 2 day-long series of appointments (I have never spent so much time in a hospital). Erika was helpful and encouraging and Geoff was very supportive saying that a few weeks over the course of my career is insignificant. That just topped it off. I am feeling really good about this decision - it seems all sides are a "go" now. Having people on board with me makes all the difference in the world! I have my husband and my employer telling me this is a good thing for me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you consider being a living kidney donor?

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married Lorne on Saturday, August 13, 2005. Our children Benjamin and Brittany live with us and our 3 dogs Bailey, Rex, Leo, and Molly the cat.