Friday, December 11, 2009

First cross match test

I worked from home yesterday so I had messages at work today. Both Michael and Sherry had called me from Toronto General. They need my blood. The HLA lab is creating a spot for a cross match test for me. I need to go to the Diagnostic Test Centre on the ground floor between 3 and 4:30 p.m. Monday, December 14, 2009.

The lab will be able to process and have the results by the New Year. There is already a first draft for the surgeries however Sherry indicated they want to have everything nailed down the week of the 21st. I hope to hear my new surgery date before we head to New Brunswick for Christmas holidays!

There will be a 2nd cross match test 1 week before the surgery to double-check compatibility.

Sherry mentioned she noticed my 40th birthday is next week; hers is 2 days later on December 20 and she'll be 50. :)

What is cross matching? from www.giftoflife.on.ca
This important blood test is performed to further determine compatibility between donor and recipient. White blood cells from the donor are mixed with blood from the recipient. If the donor's white blood cells are attacked and killed, this is known as a "positive" cross match and indicates that the donor and recipient are not compatible. A "negative" cross match, on the other hand, indicates that surgery can proceed.

1 comment:

  1. i wanna donate my kidney . i am from india. "Rajeshrao.annamaneni@gmail.com" my email contact me

    ReplyDelete

Would you consider being a living kidney donor?

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married Lorne on Saturday, August 13, 2005. Our children Benjamin and Brittany live with us and our 3 dogs Bailey, Rex, Leo, and Molly the cat.